[Gfoss] [OSSIM] Ossimplanet integration with Grass and Qgis - status report #8

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha a yahoo.it
Lun 20 Lug 2009 16:19:43 CEST

Week 8 (July 18, 2009)

What did I do this week:

Implemented a Grass shell in the pyqt gui, (it is a standard unix
shell + grass environment). The history is readed directly from the
grass history file deleting the duplicated lines and sorting it
alfabetically (it is accessible using a combo-box). Some people
suggest me to use pyredline directly i've sperimented it but i'm more
familiar with python list and combo box approach.
Working to have a better rendering from the grass command that print
text-infos about selected layers.
Rewrite the python's tool to transfer data from postgresql to
spatialite,i re-done a more-informational spatialite-db based on
geonames (i included other infos,not only : name , lon, lat values).
I'm Planning to add different spatialite-db (examples : one for
geonames, one for gps recorded data, an other one for saved points of
interest + tool to store points dircty in spatialite) this work will
be integrated by routing abilities (using grass command, i'm following
with interest the new great Gsoc tool about routing) .
Bug fixing ... continue some linux/osx test, i find that ubuntu 8.10
has a bug in the sdl libraries, this give problems to detetc the
"joystick-hat" using pygame. Googling and coding seems i find a
walkaround  using python-gobject as an alternative way to support
joystick instead to use pygame (only for ubuntu8.10).  The code to
detect hardware is ready but i need to reimplement the joystick code
from pygame to, but this is a minor issue, i'll do it it only if
really needed ubuntu8.10 support. (on more recent distro "sidux" all
works fine with pygame as on osx, i' also tried a bit ... on windows
platform,some adjustment i get the gui loaded and the position message
working, but too many dependencies to satysfy (gpsd, pygame...)so i
aborted my tests )
Added a Qdialog to show infos about illegal gui usage, and to manage
exceptions. (it is a simply window to show a message if we done some
not handled action .. like :  pan without selecting a pan-mode,
connect gps withot existing connection etc...) for now i implemented
the gui system but i need to see all the possible exception and change
the message according to it.

What do I plan on doing next week:
Continue bug fixing, gui cosmetics.
Recompile ossim using the last svn (thanks to the Dev team some new
cool enanchemets are coming :-) ), see if it is possible to fighting
against the code to send message trough tcp, i will start to read
source code, i hope to be able to learn about the problem that block
me to send data-message.

Am I blocked on anything:
Continue to read and try to learn the ossim tcp inteface (target: send
data using tcp connection).

PS.:
Apologize me for the gap-time to present this report. ...
The last week i was out of my home, without computer and internet
access.
i had only the google "note-book" (paper) to make annotation about ideas
(they can ever come up .. when you don't know.. at every time of the
day)