[Gfoss] Fwd: [Qgis-developer] ASPRS LWG chair opens can of QGIS and FOSS worms in latest column

Paolo Cavallini cavallini a faunalia.it
Lun 15 Giu 2015 20:03:04 CEST

Salve.
Da una parte mi fa quasi piacere che non abbiano argomenti migliori di
questa robetta stantia, e ormai chiaramente falsa.
Certo però, si potrebbe essere anche più corretti (ma si sa, da un
golden partner, forse non ci si deve sorprendere troppo).
Saluti!

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------
Hello folks,

for years I have enjoyed reading Lewis Graham's "Random Points" column
in the LiDAR News magazine. I usually get some novel insight or come
across a thought-provoking new concept and this month's column is
especially interesting. It mashes up the ongoing "LAZ clone"Â conflict
that asks to keep LiDAR stored in "open formats" with the practically
related but conceptually independent "open source" software movement.

The article revives Steve Ballmers “Linux is a cancer” mantra it
talks about how the GPL license is a "time-bomb" and makes Asia Air
Survey - the gold sponsor of QGIS - appear blue-eyed in their support
of such a "viral license". But it is probably best you read the entire
two pages for yourself.

http://twitter.com/LAStools/status/610057423672471552

As Lewis' opinions are regarded highly by the LiDAR and photogrammetry
industries (myself included) and as the first few paragraphs of this
widely-circulated LiDAR magazine article are a complete distortion of my
personal motivation on "open formats" that will directly hurt my
professional reputation, I have little choice but to respond with a
correction to his column. Let me know if you have any errata on Lewis'
comments about the danger of open source licenses that you want me to
include.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso