[Gfoss] Fwd: Re: [Board] Micro payments

Paolo Cavallini cavallini a faunalia.it
Gio 9 Maggio 2013 07:01:59 CEST

Senza polemica: sono l'unico a pensare che i DVD siano tecnologia obsoleta?
Saluti.

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>
Inviato il: Wed May 08 23:13:37 CEST 2013
A: Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
Cc: marketing <marketing at lists.osgeo.org>, OSGeo-Board <board at lists.osgeo.org>
Oggetto: Re: [Board] Micro payments

On 13-05-08 5:03 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Regarding whether we limit OSGeo support to big FOSS4G events only, or
> we also support emerging 1 day local events and FOSS4g steams within
> bigger conferences, I'd argue that the smaller events find it harder to
> get their hands on money, would benefit more from a little injection of
> financial support, and are often reaching out and breaking into new
> communities.
>
> For reference, you might want to assess which of the 45 OSGeo related
> events from 2012 would be deserving of sponsorship, and which you'd say
> no to.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_History

Hi Cameron,

I have to admit that you caught me off-guard, the list is more
impressive than I thought before reviewing it.  :-)

I still find that having to deal with funding DVDs for so many events
can be an issue. It is not just about processing micro-payments, you
also need to collect and archive proofs that the expense you are
reimbursing is legitimate (i.e. receipts) for OSGeo's accounting. I have
seen how complicated this can be with just the Local chapter starter
kits, imagine doing this for ~100 DVD print runs all around the world.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/