[Gfoss] Fwd: GRASS 7: New pygrass API is integrated

Markus Neteler neteler a osgeo.org
Mer 10 Ott 2012 15:32:29 CEST

FYI - molto interessante! Complimenti a Pietro Zambelli.

ciao

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Markus Neteler <neteler a osgeo.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Subject: GRASS 7: New pygrass API is integrated
To: GRASS-announce list <grass-announce a lists.osgeo.org>

Dear GRASS users,

I am pleased to announce that the pygrass library, developed during
the Google Summer of Code 2012, is now on GRASS trunk and need to be tested.

The pygrass library has been developed take into account three main aspects,
in the order:

    1. *simplicity*, GIS it's an already complex subject, and we want to make
       the API as simple/natural/intuitive as possible but at the same time
       trying to respect the GRASS work-flow and nomenclature to make it easier
       to find information on the GRASS developer manual;
    2. *flexibility* even if pygrass want to provide an high level map
       interaction, internally used some classes that work with the
       GRASS API at very low level, such as Segment, Bbox, Ilist classes.
       Every time that a C struct has been used by a class, to leave the user
       free to implement their own logic, the ctypes pointer of the C strct
       it's available under the attribute name that start with "c_*";
    3. *performance* pygrass makes heavy use of the C GRASS functions
       every time that this is possible.

The pygrass library is divided in three main parts: Raster, Vector, and Modules.
You can find some simple samples here:

https://gist.github.com/3864411

and the documentation:

http://www.ing.unitn.it/~zambelli/projects/pygrass