[Gfoss] Fw: Special Issue CFP: The Politics of Participatory and Crowd-sourced Knowledge Production

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla a gmail.com
Mar 2 Ago 2011 15:33:54 CEST

Ciao a tutti,

scusate la lingua inglese... ma credo si inserisca bene nei temi
trattati dalla lista GFOSS.

anne

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 03:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Artur Gil <arturfreiregil a yahoo.com.br>
To: lusogis <lusogis a yahoogrupos.com.br>
Subject: [lusogis] Special Issue CFP: The Politics of Participatory and
Crowd-sourced Knowledge Production

>Please circulate as appropriate; excuses for cross-posting
>David Meek
>

>Call
for Papers
>Proposed
Special Issue of Antipode
>The
Politics of Participatory and Crowd-sourced Knowledge Production

>Over
the last several decades, the purported objectivity of maps has been
extensively interrogated.  Beneath a veneer of neutrality, we see
that maps are actually social expressions, forged from frequently
contested geographic knowledge. While laudable moves toward
participatory mapping in the early 1990s sought to include diverse
constituents, more recent studies have turned a critical eye upon the
participatory nature of these endeavors. Tracking developments in
both web services and software programs, mapping and spatial data
production have skyrocketed in popularity due to the geospatial web
(“geoweb”), such as Google’s suite of proprietary programs, and
open-source alternatives such as OpenStreetMap. However, while both
proprietary and open-source systems might increase public engagement
with participatory mapping, these systems rest on diametrically
opposed value sets concerning the production and dissemination of
geographic knowledge. Debate has begun to rage among academics and
practitioners concerning the ethical implications of these various
software platforms. This special issue seeks to provide a window into
these debates and the changing face of participatory mapping.
>Articles
are requested for publication in a special issue journal of Antipode.
Papers should not exceed 9,500 words, inclusive of endnotes,
references, etc. Articles should be based on research with these data
management systems, but also engage with larger theoretical
questions, including but not limited to:
>1.
How do different mapping platforms differ epistemologically and
practically, from both academic and end-user perspectives?
>2.
How might or might not these differences impact public participatory
mapping activities, and a participatory ethic writ large?
>3.
What roles should data ownership for marginalized communities take
within these platforms? Who benefits from current data ownership
policies, and how are these concerns implicated in these mapping
platforms?
>4.
Do these differing approaches to geographic knowledge ownership
inform the types of knowledge that should be produced in any of these
platforms?

>Timeline
>	* Submission of Abstracts and Author bio- August 15th2011
>	* Notification concerning inclusion in proposed special issue-
>	Sept. 1st2011
>	* Submission of papers-March 1st 2012
>	* Publication-2013
>

>Please
submit abstracts and author bios to David Meek (dmeek a uga.edu)
and Ryan Burns (burnsr77 a gmail.com) by August 15th