[Gfoss] Fwd: [OSGeo-Edu] Survey of interest to this group?

Markus Neteler neteler a osgeo.org
Gio 2 Apr 2009 16:32:46 CEST

Scusate crossposting.
La vostra partecipazione è richiesta (5 minuti)...!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Reid <james.reid a ed.ac.uk>
Date: 2009/4/2
Subject: [OSGeo-Edu] Survey of interest to this group?
To: edu_discuss a lists.osgeo.org

Higher and Further Education in the UK already has arrangements for
access to a significant quantity of mapping and spatial data from
Ordnance Survey via the Digimap service. EDINA are conducting a survey
(endorsed by AGILE) in order to understand more about current academic
access to maps and data from national mapping agencies in other
European countries (e.g. IGN in France, BKG in Germany).

While we are happy for UK map and spatial data users to complete the
survey, we are distributing this message in the hope that others will
pass this link on to friends and colleagues within Higher or Further
Education elsewhere in Europe: http://tinyurl.com/NMCAUserSurvey   We
would like to know how colleagues across Europe either do or don't
gain access to national mapping agency data. Please read on for more
details.

*** AGILE Initiative - Higher Education Geospatial Data Access Survey ***

Are you are a teacher, lecturer or researcher at a Higher Education
Institute in Europe?
Do you use geospatial data (maps, air photography, satellite imagery, etc)?

If the answer to both these questions is YES then we would like to
invite you to complete our survey.

(If you want to complete the survey without finding out more, you can
find the survey at http://tinyurl.com/NMCAUserSurvey, otherwise read
on. The survey will run from 30th March to 21st April 2009. )

What is the purpose of this survey?
The purpose of this survey is to find out how easy it is for you, as a
teacher or researcher, to gain access to the geospatial data sets held
by the National Mapping and Cadastral Agency or Agencies in your
country.

Europe’s Network of National Mapping and Cadastral Agencies (NMCAs)
hold and maintain the majority of Europe’s ‘core’ geospatial
information including:

• topographic data;
• cadastral information;
• aerial photography; and
• land use information and historical map data.

We believe that Higher Education in Europe should be an important
market for the NMCAs, as there are around 4,000 Higher Education
institutions, with over 17 million students and 1.5 million staff.

With your help, we hope to find out how easy it is to access these
data. We will use this information to encourage more NMCAs to make
their data available to teachers and researchers in Higher Education
across Europe. Our goal is to help you gain access to the quality
geospatial data that you need.

Who is carrying out the survey?
Our research team is part of the EDINA National Data Centre, based in
the University of Edinburgh, UK (http://edina.ac.uk). The survey has
been endorsed by the Association of Geographic Information
Laboratories for Europe (AGILE) ( http://www.agile-online.org/) and
EuroGeographics ( http://www.eurogeographics.org/), which represents
52 National Mapping and Cadastral Agencies from 43 countries across
Europe.

When will the survey finish?
The survey will be open for you to complete until Tuesday 21st April 2009.

During this time we would like your help to get as many teachers and
researchers as possible to complete the survey. So, once you have
completed the survey, please pass on the email and web link to this
survey.

How do I complete the survey?
The survey can be found at http://tinyurl.com/NMCAUserSurvey

Who should I contact for more information?
If you have any questions please contact: Dr David Medyckyj-Scott, by
email at edina.surveys a ed.ac.uk

Thank you for your help and, remember, please pass this email on...

Sent on behalf of Dr David Medyckyj-Scott

EDINA
Causewayside House
160 Causewayside
Edinburgh
EH9 1PR

Helpdesk: 0131 650 3302
Fax: 0131 650 3308

________________________________
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

James S Reid
EDINA National Datacentre
University of Edinburgh

t: +44 (0)131 651 1383
m: 0759 5116988
f: +44 (0)131 650 3308
e: james.reid a ed.ac.uk

"Students achieving Oneness will move on to Twoness."
                               - Woody Allen