[Gfoss] GDAL support on GeoTools and GeoServer

Daniele Romagnoli daniele.romagnoli a geo-solutions.it
Ven 23 Maggio 2008 10:54:43 CEST

Hi list,
With this email we report some progresses on our work on ImageIO-EXT GDAL
geotools plugin. Main details are available at the wiki page: [1].

Briefly,
this module allows to extend the GeoTools coverage data access capabilities
by leveraging on the powerful GDAL Libraries via the ImageIO-EXT project
[2].
GeoServer will directly benefit of these improvements. You can test an
unofficial GeoServer release we have produced to test the new capabilities.
It is available at [3] as a zipped war file.
Requested extensions to be added to that GeoServer release are available at
[4]. A readme file available in this ZIP file contains instructions about
how to add extensions and where to find needed GDAL DLLs/SOs. Note that due
to licensing issues, the available dynamic libraries enable support for
MrSID, JP2K (MrSID), DTED, Erdas Imagine, NITF formats.
If you need to add support to JP2K (Kakadu) and ECW, see instructions
available at [5] (OpenOffice) or [6] (PDF), sections "GDAL Requirements" and
"GDAL Configurations" for further information on enabling ECW and Kakadu
support on GDAL. For further helps on this topic, ask questions.

Regards,
GeoSolutions

PS: L'abbiamo mandata su altre ML e non l'abbiamo tradotta dall'Inglese :-)
[1]: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/ImageIO-EXT+GDAL
[2]: https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/
[3]: http://www.geo-solutions.it/libraries/geoserver-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT-war.zip
[4]: