[Gfoss] Fwd: [Fwd: Open access data policy]

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano a gmail.com
Lun 30 Giu 2008 17:54:28 CEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roger Longhorn <ral a alum.mit.edu>
Sent by: owner-egip a jrc.it

30/06/2008 15.05

Please respond to
ral a alum.mit.edu
EGIP <european-gi-policy a jrc.it>, GSDI Legal-Economic Work Grouup
<legal-econ a lists.gsdi.org>
cc
Subject
[Fwd: Open access data policy]

Apologies to any and all if I have already forwarded this message about
free access - and unlimited use/re-use - to certain Canadian geospatial
data. However, the message arrived while I was at the excellent INSPIRE
2008 Conference in Slovenia (congratulations to the organisers and the
EC), and I am not sure that I actioned it. Thanks also to Mick Wilson at
UNEP in Nairobi for bringing it to the attention of the SDI East Africa
mailing list (see http://www.ungiwg.org/sdi-ea/?q=about) and Steven
Ramage at 1Spatial for passing it on to me.

The two most important IPR phrases from the GeoGratis web site (see
http://www.geogratis.ca/geogratis/en/index.html) are:

<begins>

       2.0 LICENCE GRANT

  1.

     Subject to this Agreement, Canada hereby grants to the Licensee a
     non-exclusive, fully paid, royalty-free right and licence to
     exercise all Intellectual Property Rights in the Data. This
     includes the right to use, incorporate, sublicense (with further
     right of sublicensing), modify, improve, further develop, and
     distribute the Data; and to manufacture and / or distribute
     Derivative Products.

  2.

     The Intellectual Property Rights arising from any modification,
     improvement, development or translation of the Data, or from the
     manufacture of Derivative Products, effected by or for the
     Licensee, shall vest in the Licensee or in such person as the
     Licensee shall decide.

<ends>

See
http://www.geogratis.ca/geogratis/en/licence.jsp;jsessionid=485E161DDE73636143DFAAA3BF8430D2

for the full license terms.

Well done, Natural Resources Canada!

Kind regards

Roger Longhorn
co-Chair, GSDI Association Legal & Socioeconomic Working Group
ral a alum.mit.edu