[Gfoss] Spatialite 2.0 released [SQLite Spatials]

Alessandro Furieri a.furieri a lqt.it
Mar 24 Giu 2008 17:12:44 CEST

mi scuso per l'inglese in una lista italinissima, ma almeno
mi risparmio di scrivere due volte l'annuncio :-)

I've just released a new version [2.0] for the
SQLite's Spatial extension [spatialite]

http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-2.0/index.html

It's decidedly a MAJOR VERSION, as I introduced
lots of new features:
--------

- completely re-engineered code base

- now supporting standard GNU Automake build system
  [./configure; make; make install]

- now integrating GEOS, in order to support the
  complete OpenGis Spatial SQL functions set
  [this including any sophisticated spatial
   analysis function, such as Overlay(), Contains(),
   Touches(), Buffer(), ConvexHull() and so on]

- now implementing standard Spatial METADATA tables
  [geometry_columns / spatial_ref_sys] and enforcing
  column constraints on geometry classes and SRIDs

- now implementing a genuine and effective Spatial
  Index based on the [still experimental] SQLite's RTree

- and all this for less than 2MB of code
  [and, if you don't care to implement GEOS and related
   spatial analysis functions, you can build a light-weight
   version for about 500KB, this still including basic
   WKT / WKT handling and Spatial Index]

Let say now we have a "smaller PostGis" in a nut-shell,
requiring no administration or configuration at all,
but effectively supporting full SQL Spatial data processing

Enjoy

Sandro Furieri