No subject

Mer 30 Gen 2008 18:18:47 CET

developers is not small, not at all; the problem is that GFOSS
developers usually are quiet because they spend all the time they have
coding GFOSS software hence talking about what they do is often
considered a waste time (I am not supporting this statement but that's
what I have heard often..). I guess that, to some extent, this is true
for *any* software developer...

IMHO, the limiting factor of the GFOSS is that there are tons of
companies which are *exploiting* the GFOSS world itself, without
giving anything or very little in return (IMHO saying "we use GFOSS
software so we support it" is not the best form of support, but then
again, it's a personal opinion). There are also other companies that
strongly believe that an OS developer should ask for less money than
any other non OS developers, or no money at all, because "he does that
for the community".

I think that the ongoing discussion on Service Provider Prioritization
should try to address these issues somehow.

Simone.

On Feb 12, 2008 6:31 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Simone Giannecchini ha scritto:
> > Could you please explain what you mean to a "poor" OS developer?
>
> My feeling is that the number of available developers is small, and
> cannot be easily raised by reasonable amounts of money (ok, with 12 MEUR
> that's different...). I think there's an "availability pit": you can
> find some productive developers willing to work for free/limited
> additional resources/based on their own resources, you can also find
> (many?) productive developers if you have lots of money, but in the
> middle there is a gap, so transition is not smooth.
> It would be nice to model all this in a more formal way (I'm a
> behavioural ecologist, after all...), but now these are just thoughts,
> less than hypotheses.
> All the best.
>
> pc
> --