[Gfoss] "Feature Extraction From Satellite Imagery" ... e ... "availability of free geographical data"

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano a gmail.com
Mer 20 Feb 2008 09:07:06 CET

Da Slashgeo [1] e GeoNames [2]:

"Spot Image, a leading provider of satellite imagery, are making a
fantastic offer. Spot Image are teaming up with GeoNames to help
improve the availability of free geographical data and offer high
resolution 2.5m satellite imagery for automatic feature extraction.
Features that we think can be extracted from 2.5m imagery are city
contours, airports, streets, shore lines, lakes, rivers and others. We
believe this is a fantastic opportunity for researchers and
student-works to find algorithms for feature identification and
extraction. Drop me a line for more details if you are doing research
in this area and would like to work on this challenging task.
[...]
The data extracted from satellite imagery will be made available
through GeoNames. Up to now GeoNames was exclusively focusing on point
data due to the lack of good and free vector data. The extracted
features will allow us to provide vector data and we will be able to
include shapes of cities and other features into the GeoNames
database. It will be a gigantic step forward for the availability,
quality and coverage of free geographical data on global scale"

[1] http://technology.slashgeo.org/technology/08/02/19/1536235.shtml
[2] http://geonames.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/feature-extraction-from-satellite-imagery/

pg

--

Piergiorgio Cipriano
pg.cipriano a gmail.com

("perchè la terra dei cachi è la terra dei cachi ..!")