[Gfoss] QGIS 0.9.0!

alessandro.sarretta at inwind.it alessandro.sarretta at inwind.it
Fri Oct 26 17:38:43 CEST 2007

Giro in lista la mail di Tim Sutton che annuncia il rilascio di QGIS 0.9.0.
Buon GIS a tutti.
Ale

It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of
Quantum GIS (QGIS) Version 0.9.0. See below for press release:

Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic
Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and
Windows. QGIS supports vector, raster, and database formats. QGIS is
licensed under the GNU General Public License. QGIS lets you browse
and create map data on your computer. It supports many common spatial
data formats (e.g. ESRI ShapeFile, geotiff). QGIS supports plugins to
do things like display tracks from your GPS. QGIS is Open Source
software and its free of cost (download here). We welcome
contributions from our user community in the form of code
contributions, bug fixes, bug reports, contributed documentation,
advocacy and supporting other users on our mailing lists and forums.
Financial contributions  are also welcome. This release introduces
several new features including python support and many new GRASS
modules. The release also includes numerous bug fixes and stability
improvements. QGIS is available is source form, and as binary
executables for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux. All
versions can be obtained from our download page at
http://download.qgis.org . As an open source project, we provide
support for using QGIS via our mailing lists and bug tracker:

    * For general inquiries subscribe to our users mailing list at
    * For developer related inquiries subscribe to our separate
developers list at
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
    * If you think you have found a bug, please report it using our
bug tracker. When reporting bugs, please include some contact
information in case we need help with replicating your issue at
https://svn.qgis.org/trac

Major changes in this release are:

* Python bindings - This is the major focus of this release it is now
possible to create plugins using python. It is also possible to create
GIS enabled applications written in python that use the QGIS
libraries.
* Removed automake build system - QGIS now needs CMake for compilation.
* Many new GRASS tools added (with thanks to http://faunalia.it/)
* Map Composer updates
* Crash fix for 2.5D shapefiles
* The QGIS libraries have been refactored and better organised.
* Improvements to the GeoReferencer

QGIS is a completely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a
dedicated team of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend
our thanks and gratitude for the  many, many hours people have
contributed to make this release happen.

Best regards

--
Tim Sutton
openModeller Desktop Developer