[Gfoss] Open Street Map [Fwd: Merano -- help with data import?]

Edoardo Marascalchi edoardo at edoardomarascalchi.it
Thu Nov 22 10:04:34 CET 2007

Chi mi da una mano?

Edoardo

-------- Messaggio Originale --------
Oggetto: 	Merano -- help with data import?
Data: 	Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:29:27 -0800 (PST)
Da: 	Mikel Maron <mikel_maron a yahoo.com>
A: 	Edoardo Marascalchi <edoardo a edoardomarascalchi.it>

Hi Edoardo

Do you think anyone in OSM Italia would be interested in helping import Merano road data?

Merano released all their data -- I mean all. 3D Models, orthophotos, location of every tree...
It's pretty phenomenal. And generally, there's a great group of people working on open source and GIS in Tyrol.

For a start, one layer contains the road network. It would take some string crunching to get this into osm format.
I can see exactly how to do it, but just don't have the time right now to work on the import.

Besides, there's loads more layers and data to mine here. Possibilities for OpenAerialMap too.

By chance, the company which set up the GIS system for Merano also worked with Milan. It's a pretty nice system,
all open source and maintained by all city workers (gardners, parking attendants) -- sorta like OSM for a city government.

The head of the company was the one that convinced Merano to adapt their license to be compatible with OSM,
so perhaps there's the same possibility in Milan. I think you've also been talking with Cristina Moretto as well?

Best
Mikel

--
Edoardo Marascalchi