[Gfoss] Fwd: [okfn-discuss] 8 Principles of Open Government Data

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano a gmail.com
Gio 13 Dic 2007 11:31:05 CET

Inoltro questo messaggio appena arrivato (scusate cross-posting).

pg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock a okfn.org>
Date: 13-dic-2007 11.26
Subject: [okfn-discuss] 8 Principles of Open Government Data
To: okfn-discuss <okfn-discuss a lists.okfn.org>
Cc: Tom Steinberg <tom a mysociety.org>, Aaron Swartz <me a aaronsw.com>

There's a request for comments up at:

  <http://public.resource.org/8_principles.html>

This came out of a recent meeting (from the blurb):

"December 7-8, 2007—This weekend, 30 open government advocates gathered
to develop a set of principles of open government data. The meeting,
held in Sebastopol, California, was designed to develop a more robust
understanding of why open government data is essential to democracy."

I've included the 8 principles info below. This seems a great initiative
and given the close similarity with the Open Knowledge/Data
Definition[1] we should definitely get in contact with these guys and
see both how we could participate in this particular instance and how we
could collaborate in general.

[1]: <http://opendefinition.org/1.0/>

Looking specifically at the principles it seems that they are looking at
something slightly wider -- what one might term *open government* as
opposed to simply *open data*.

Specifically items 5-8 (and maybe 4 too) would seem to be very similar
to existing items in the OK/DD (though item 8 is stronger -- and also
problematic for that reason: (e.g.) the UK government's click-use
license is a license but is also open). Items 1-4, by contrast, are more
about what government should make available and are therefore more about
the general process of government rather than the openness of the data
itself.

Regards,

Rufus

8 Principles